r "WOW" leys

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Sinterklaas, a sNOwDaY, Snowmen and Cinnamon Rolls!


 On  Dec. 6th Sinterklaas (Dutch Santa)
made his annual visit to our home.  He was even able to find us here in Michigan,
fortunately there are many Dutch people here in Michigan!  {There's even a Tulip Festival in Holland, Michigan we'll have to check out come Spring.} 
The kids enjoyed receiving some Christmas ornaments and webkinz, in exchange for being good *and* putting carrots in their shoes for Sinterklaas' horse to eat! 


Living in Michigan has its perks, we've recently learned.  Along with many other
things to enjoy they have
SNOWDAYS.
No school, and lots of snow.
Apparently there are many things kids can do to insure a
snowday!

Here are a few:

*sleep with your pajamas on inside out and backwards
*flush an ice cube down the toilet (or ~20 in Paige's case)
*sleep with a spoon under your pillow

If you're really lucky (and get 1.5 ft of snow) you can even have 2 snow days in a row.



The kids think that these little tricks really work now.



Well, with two days off school and lots of snow to play in, we made snowmen.



*these little ones were easy to make and stay warm at the same time*

Cinnamon Rolls came next ...
I don't know why but when the weather is snowy,
I get the urge to bake. 



So we rolled out the dough and made some yummy Cinnamon Rolls.



 I used my Mom's recipe that calls for mashed potatoes in the dough.  They are yummy, soft, sweet and cinnamonny.

For some unknown reason, I'm not completely surprised nor disappointed that there are a few spoons missing from the silverware drawer lately!


1 comment:

Sonia said...

you know you need to post that Cinnamon roll recipe now...The cinnabon recipe calls for vanilla pudding to keep it moist...mashed taters that's a BYU-Idaho variation I bet!